Direction: In the question below there are two statements followed by two conclusions I and II. You have to take the two given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the given statements disregarding commonly known facts. Statements: I. All bottles are cups. II. Some cups are jugs. Conclusions: I. Some bottles are jugs. II. No jug is cup.
Direction: In the question below there are two statements followed by two conclusions I and II. You have to take the two given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the given statements disregarding commonly known facts. Statements: I. All bottles are cups. II. Some cups are jugs. Conclusions: I. Some bottles are jugs. II. No jug is cup.
AOnly conclusion I follows.
BOnly conclusion II follows.
CEither conclusion I or II follows.
DNeither conclusion I nor II follows.
All DiscussionsClick here to write answer
correct answer is: option d (Neither conclusion I nor II follows)
Explanation: Let's analyze the statements and conclusions using a Venn diagram. Statement I says "All bottles are cups", meaning the entire set of bottles is contained within the set of cups. Statement II says "Some cups are jugs", meaning there's an overlap between the set of cups and the set of jugs. Based on this:
- Option I (Some bottles are jugs): Since all bottles are cups and only *some* cups are jugs, it doesn't necessarily mean any bottles are jugs. They *could* be, but it's not guaranteed. Therefore, this conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.
- Option II (No jug is cup): We know *some* cups are jugs. Therefore, it is wrong to say No jug is cup.
Post your answers here:
Post
